• Do I need a study permit to study in Canada?
  • Most students need a study permit to study in Canada, but there are some exceptions.

  • How do I register myself with you?
  • That's simple. All you have to do is to just drop-in to our office anytime, meet our counselors and avail free guidance. You can then register with us, because we really want to clear all your queries before registering you.

  • How do I apply to study in Canada?
  • You should have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. You must provide substantial proofs featuring that you have enough money to pay for your:

    a. Tuition fees

    b. Living expenses for yourself and any family members accompanying you to Canada and

    c.Return transportation for yourself and any family members who accompanies you to Canada.

    You may have to provide a police certificate to prove that you do not have any criminal record and are a law-abiding citizen. You should not be a risk to the security of Canada.

    You are to be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

    You must satisfy an immigration officer about your leaving Canada after completing your studies.

  • When should I apply for my study permit?
  • You should apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance from the educational institution. The time needed to process an application to study in Canada may be different at various Study Permit offices.

    The application process should begin at least three months prior to the commencement of classes.

    Minimum documents required to apply for a study permit include: a valid passport; an original letter of acceptance from the institution; as well as evidence of adequate funds to cover tuition and living costs for you and any dependents, including return transportation. Interviews are sometimes required for clarification of information you have provided in your application. In some cases, a medical examination or an interview may also be needed.

    Once you submit a complete application it can take between four to six weeks to receive your permit. We recommend you apply at least three months in advance. Make sure all required documents are included.

  • What happens if, my application for studying in Canada is refused?
  • If your application is not approved, the Study Permit office will send you a letter explaining why your application has been refused. An application might be refused for several reasons:

    • You fail to prove that you have enough money to support yourself, while studying in Canada.
    • You failed in the medical examination if one was required.
    • You failed to satisfy the Study Permit officer about your primary intentions of studying in Canada..
    • You failed to satisfy the Study Permit officer about your will leaving Canada, at the end of your stipulated period of study..
    • You can contact the Study Permit office that issued the refusal letter, for queries related to your refusal

  • What documents do I require to enter Canada?
  • The documents you need to enter Canada
    The CBSA officer will ask to see your travel documents when you arrive in Canada. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada

    You should be ready to show the following documents:

    • A valid passport or travel document.
    • The letter of introduction from the Study Permit office that you received when your study permit was approved (this letter contains your permit reference number and the CBSA officer needs this letter to issue your study permit).
    • A valid temporary resident Study Permit (if required).
    • A copy of the letter of acceptance from the school at which you are permitted to study.
    • proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada and letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the Study Permit office where you applied.
  • How should I proceed further, after my application is approved?
  • If your application is approved, you will receive the following:

    • A letter of introduction, confirming the approval, will be sent to you. This letter is not your study permit. You should bring the letter of introduction with you, for showing to immigration officials, after your arrival in Canada.
    • A temporary resident Study Permit (TRV) will be issued if you hail from a designated country for which Canada requires a Study Permit. The TRV will be in your passport. The expiry date on this Study Permit indicates the date by which you must enter Canada. You must enter Canada before your TRV expires. The TRV will also indicate if you have a single-entry Study Permit (enter Canada only once) or you have a multiple entry Study Permit (can enter Canada multiple times).
  • How do I get information on studying in Quebec?
  • To study in Quebec, you first need to get a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (certificate of acceptance) from the province of Quebec. Then you can apply for a study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

  • How do I pay the fee for a study permit?
  • You must pay a processing fee with your application. The fee will not be refunded, even if your application is refused

  • How do I find out if I need a medical examination to study in Canada?
  • You will need a medical examination if:

    • you will be in Canada for longer than six months, and you come from a designated country/territory for which Canada requires a Study Permit.
  • What can I do to speed up medical processing?
  • Set up your appointments as far in advance as possible. You could provide the examining physician with a pre-paid courier envelope for submission to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Some students will not require a medical. It depends on your places of residence over the year immediately prior to your application.

  • Can I visit my own doctor for my medical?
  • No, Citizenship and Immigration Canada only accepts medical exam results from a Designated Medical Practitioners.

  • How do I renew my study permit while I am in Canada?
  • If you want to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

  • Am I allowed to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada during my studies?
  • If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

    • a valid passport or travel documents
    • a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada and
    • a valid temporary resident Study Permit if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a Study Permit.
  • How do I find out if I can work while studying in Canada?
  • Foreign students can work in Canada during their studies, and after they graduate. In most cases, you will need to apply for one of the student-related work permits, which are required if you want to work in a co-op/internship placement, off campus, or after graduating from your studies (Post-Graduation Work Permit Program).

  • If I receive an off-campus work permit for how long is it valid?
  • Your work permit will generally be valid for the same period as your study permit. It will allow you to work off campus until you complete your studies, as long as you still comply with the program requirements and with the conditions of both your work permit and study permit.

  • Are there any restrictions on where I can work or the type of job that I can apply for under the Off-Campus Work Program?
  • You will be able to work anywhere in Canada as long as you remain a full-time student with a satisfactory academic standing while classes are in session and you comply with the conditions of your work permit.

    In some cases, there may be restrictions on the type of job you can hold. For example, you may be required to undergo a medical examination for some occupations, such as:

    • workers in the health services fields
    • teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
    • domestic workers or live-in caregivers
    • workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly or individuals with a disability
    • day nursery employees and
    • some agricultural workers
  • Are there any restrictions on how many hours I can work once I receive my off-campus work permit?
  • Once you receive your off-campus work permit, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus while classes are in session. You can work full time during scheduled breaks, including summer or winter holidays and reading weeks.

  • What must I do to extend my stay or change my status (for example, from a full-time student to a full-time worker)?
  • To make any changes in your immigration status or to extend your stay in Canada, you must submit an application to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada.

  • How do I find out if the institution where I study participates in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program?
  • You can check the list of participating institutions with our counsellors.

  • Does the work-permit guarantee a job for the students?
  • A work permit does not guarantee a job. It is the student's responsibility to look for work

  • Will I require health insurance while I am in Canada?
  • International students are required by law to carry health insurance coverage. Though it is not possible to obtain an insurance policy from outside Canada, a plan should be secured within the first week of a student's arrival.

    Each province administers its own public medical and health insurance plans, though some private and supplementary plans are also available. However, even if in instances where provincial coverage is available to international students at no cost, they must register with the health insurance authority in the province to ensure they are in fact covered. Your university/college should be able to advise you on this matter. Most major educational institutions have their own insurance plan for international students and will help you register and pay fees on arrival.

  • Is there usually somewhere or someone I can turn to with any problems, issues or concerns I might have during the academic year?
  • Most post-secondary institutions have an international student adviser assigned to assist international students and give them advice on housing, health insurance, financial issues and immigration concerns. Other services might include organizing orientation and special events, exchange opportunities and regular information sessions. Some institutions offer peer programs that match an international student with a Canadian student to help a newcomer with settling in on campus. Host family programs are also often available in which a Canadian family helps an international student integrate into Canadian life.

  • Are international students eligible for scholarships? What financial assistance is available to international students?
  • Yes international students are eligible for some scholarships. The majority of scholarships available are for masters or doctoral students.

  • Do I need to prepay my tuition fees before arrival?
  • No, unless your institution requires it. In fact, many institutions are not able to accept your fees until you arrive and register. However, you must show CIC officials that the funds are available and can be transferred to Canada. In exceptional circumstances, where there are local currency restrictions, which may hamper the timely transfer of funds, Study Permit officers might request that proof of an off-shore account in the student's name or full payment of the tuition fees in advance.

  • Do I have to renew my study permit every year? How do I renew it?
  • In general, students will receive a study permit for the full period of their studies, e.g. three or four years. However, an immigration officer has the authority to issue a permit for a one-year period only. To renew your permit, you must submit an application to the Case Processing Centre in Alberta, Canada PRIOR TO the expiry of your authorization. Forms are available at CIC Centers across Canada (and on the web.)

  • I am studying in Canada. If I want to change from a Bachelor's to a Master's Program do I need a new study permit? If I want to change to a different university, do I need a new permit?
  • You do not need to apply for a new permit if you are moving from one university to another university regardless of change in level - unless your permit specifies the name of your institution. If you are changing from a college to a university or vice-versa, you will require a new study permit. If you are studying in Quebec you will need a new CAQ if you change levels or institutions.

  • How do I get my foreign credentials assessed?
  • The web site of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials, provides useful information and referrals for international students wishing to have their credentials assessed

  • Quick Enquiry


    Dear Cango, You guys have been part of my life through out this process. Without Meera mam and Shalini I couldn't got my Study Permit I and my mom are grateful to Meera mam and ther lovable staffs.


    Dear Cango, I special thanks to Meera Mam and Shalini Mam, for making my dream come true. After rejection to US Study Permit I felt I cant pursue any higher education. At that time one of my friend suggested me to visit CANGO.


    Dear Cango, I had a nice co-operation with the Meera mam while I had a confusion in selecting the course and Study Permit documents, preparation. But once I had a counseling with mam it was cleared.