Arriving in Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you will be greeted by an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The CBSA is responsible for protecting the borders and points of entry to Canada. Find out more information about the CBSA.

The officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents. Make sure that you have them with you, and that they are not packed in your luggage. This will speed up your entry to Canada.

The officer will confirm that you meet the requirements for admission to Canada. This should only take a few minutes.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information, or if you do not satisfy the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada. You will also have to satisfy the officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay in Canada.

The officer will stamp your passport or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. In some cases, the officer may limit this period to cover only the intended purpose of your visit. Ask questions if you are unsure about anything.

If you violate the conditions of your Study Permit, you will be asked to leave Canada. Most people asked to leave Canada have the right to an impartial hearing to review the decision.

Immigration Procedures at the Airport

All international students arriving at a Canadian port of entry have to show the Immigration Officer the following:

  • Your passport
  • Your valid Temporary Resident Study Permit or Student Study Permit
  • Your 'Student Authorization' /permit as issued by the Canadian Embassy or High Commission
  • Your admission letter provided by the University of Windsor showing your admission into the University
  • A Letter of Introduction from CIC received along with your study permit.
  • Evidence of financial support and or tuition payment for up to 1 year of academic study
  • Your Study Permit will be issued by the officer at the port of entry.
  • Check your Study Permit carefully and verify that personal data (name, date and place of birth, gender, citizenship) are correct. Incorrect information on your Study Permit can jeopardize your registration.

Be sure to hold on to these documents or have them in your hand luggage where they are easily accessible. Do NOT pack them in your checked baggage.

When Should I Arrive?

We recommend you to arrive about two weeks before classes begin in Canada, for completing the registration procedures. If you plan to look out for off-campus accommodations, we would advice you to arrive 2 weeks to a month before classes begin for arranging non-University housing. You will also be required reserving an absolute minimum of 1 week of temporary accommodation in advance of your arrival. This is done to enable you having a place to stay, while you arrange your permanent housing.

Your arriving early in Canada will offer an added advantage. You will get to know your way around the campus, the city, and be able to find suitable off-campus housing, if needed. There is a variety of accommodation options to choose from. Also, you will get a chance to participate in planned social events, make friends, and attend orientations.


When you are getting close to landing at your destination, you will usually be given a small paper Customs Declaration Card by the airline staff. If there are not enough cards on the plane, then you can obtain one when you are in the arrivals hall at the airport. You need to complete this card with clear handwriting, as well as fully and truthfully.

When you exit the plane, you will proceed to Canada Customs and Immigration. The Immigration Officer will ask for your passport (which you will hand to him/her) then ask you why you have come to Canada. Once you inform them that you are a student, you will be asked to show your student Study Permit as well as your acceptance letter.

Answer all questions truthfully and directly. The Customs Officer will stamp your Customs Declaration Card. Keep this card with you! You show it to an officer on the way to the baggage claim area.

Once you are finished with Customs and Immigration, you will proceed to baggage claim, where you will pick up your luggage. When you exit the baggage claim area, you should hand in your Customs Declaration Card to the appropriate officer. Occasionally, you will be subjected to search of all luggage. Just relax and answer all questions directly.

Once you have done this, you are able to start the final leg of your journey to your college / University. Outside the airport are taxis and shuttle buses that will take you to your appropriate destination.

Budgeting Considerations


When you arrive in Canada, try to have at least $400-$800 (Canadian or U.S.) in cash. A currency exchange service is usually available at the Toronto airport from 5:00 am to midnight. We also recommend that you carry enough travellers' cheques or bank drafts to cover at least your first month's expenses. Because of extra costs in the first month (such as rental, damage deposits and books) this can amount to $1000 - $2000 CAD for a single student. Do not depend on bank cards etc as your only source of cash. Sometimes banks will put a hold on funds for a few weeks - so it is very important that you can access money for your rent and living expenses right away.

International Student Health Insurance

Canada has a very good medical system and ranks among the top medical countries in the world. International student fees include mandatory 12 month health insurance while students are registered at the college.

The insurance policy will not cover any pre-existing medical condition, so please ensure that you resolve any health issues prior to your arrival in Canada. The policy also covers a small amount for emergency dental work only. It is advised that you have any dental work and cleaning done before you arrive in Canada.

Please ensure you inform the International Advisor of the date of your arrival in Canada to ensure your health insurance is activated the day you arrive in Canada.

Please ensure all your vaccination records are up-to-date and you have that information available upon arrival to the college. If possible, bring any health records with you.

Items you may want to purchase in Canada:

  • Electric Toaster
  • Electric Wok or Frying Pan
  • Electric Kettle
  • Hair Dryer

Items which cannot be brought to Canada

The following items cannot be brought into Canada:

  • Firearms, explosives, fireworks and ammunition;
  • Narcotics, other than the prescribed drugs;
  • Meat, dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables;
  • Plants, flowers and soil;
  • Endangered species of animals or products made from animal parts, such as the skin, feathers, fur, bones and ivory;
  • Cultural property, including antique and cultural objects considered to have historical significance in their country of origin (you may, however, bring family heirlooms);
  • More than 200 cigarettes (you must pay tax on the excess amount) per person over 18 years of age if you are immigrating to Quebec, Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, or per person over 19 if you are immigrating to Ontario or any of the other provinces; and More than 1.5 liters of wine or 1.14 litres of commercial alcohol (you must pay tax on the excess amount) per person over 19 years of age.

Quick Enquiry


Dear Cango, You guys have been part of my life through out this process. Without Meera mam and Shalini I couldn't got my Study Permit I and my mom are grateful to Meera mam and ther lovable staffs.


Dear Cango, I special thanks to Meera Mam and Shalini Mam, for making my dream come true. After rejection to US Study Permit I felt I cant pursue any higher education. At that time one of my friend suggested me to visit CANGO.


Dear Cango, I had a nice co-operation with the Meera mam while I had a confusion in selecting the course and Study Permit documents, preparation. But once I had a counseling with mam it was cleared.