On or Off Campus Residence/ Dormitory

Dormitories are the preferred accommodation for most students in Canada. They are usually located on or near the university or college campus and typically have shared kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities. Some dorm accommodations offer optional cafeteria meal plans where students pay a set up-front fee for the term and receive 2 or 3 meal tickets per day.

Dormitories are a great idea if:

  • You're only going to be in Canada for a semester.
  • You're new to Canada and would like to meet people quickly and easily.
  • This is your 1st or 2nd year of study.
  • You are living away from home for the first time.
  • You want to be accessible to everything on campus without having to worry about transportation.


Cost ranges from CAD110-CAD$270 a week

Home stay is a popular option for students seeking an off-campus accommodation. Here, students get to stay with a Canadian family.

This enables them to experience the Canadian lifestyle, customs, and traditions. Many families in Canada arrange home stay for international students, offering full-boarding with meals or without meals.

Private Accommodation

A listing of private accommodations (e.g. apartments, flats, room and board) close to campus is usually available through the housing office or student's union of most universities and colleges across Canada. Since schools don't regulate private housing, it is best to visit the location in person and make sure you ask any questions you might have before committing to a lease.

Some things to consider before renting an apartment or flat:

  • Prices, quality and availability vary greatly. Start apartment hunting early!
  • Rental prices can start from C$400 per month depending on the city or area you choose to live in.
  • You will probably have to give one month's rent up-front as a damage deposit. This will be returned to you when you move if your place is left in good condition.
  • You will be required to sign a lease, which is a legal document with your landlord that states your responsibilities as a tenant. Leases are typically binding for 1 yea
  • Landlords are responsible for keeping the premises in good repair and must give you advance notice (generally 60 days in most Canadian provinces) if they want you to vacate the residence.
  • It is illegal for a landlord to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability.

Remember, it is your responsibility to arrange for accommodation while in Canada. For more information, please contact the housing or residence office at the Canadian university or college you are planning to attend.

  • When renting accommodation, deal directly with the landlord and pay the damage deposit directly to him or her.
  • When possible, pay rent with a cheque, as it is easier to provide proof of payment, and always ask for a receipt.
  • Do not let people into apartment buildings or buzz them in if you do not know them.
  • If a repairman, delivery person or salesperson wants access to the building and you are not expecting them, refer them to the building manager.
  • Meet and know your neighbours.
  • Keep your door(s) locked, even when you are home.

Quick Enquiry


Dear Cango, You guys have been part of my life through out this process. Without Meera mam and Shalini I couldn't got my Study Permit I and my mom are grateful to Meera mam and ther lovable staffs.


Dear Cango, I special thanks to Meera Mam and Shalini Mam, for making my dream come true. After rejection to US Study Permit I felt I cant pursue any higher education. At that time one of my friend suggested me to visit CANGO.


Dear Cango, I had a nice co-operation with the Meera mam while I had a confusion in selecting the course and Study Permit documents, preparation. But once I had a counseling with mam it was cleared.